art manifestations

The arts world is increasingly disparate and individuals' voices are getting lost in the noise. This is one artist's take on his world and his chosen vocation. It is a chance for him to wax philosophic on what it means to be an artist, the definition of art, and other artists and their thoughts.

Friday, September 30, 2005

Art

What does it mean to be an artist?

Let's call that an open question to the world at large.

Does it mean: to produce?
Does it mean: to question the world around you?
Does it mean: to push or pursue your craft?
Does it mean: to make a statement?
Does it mean: to reproduce the world?
Does it mean: to start a conversation?

I wonder where this question will take me.

But who am I to ask it? I'm only starting out in the world. I have a BA in art and design. I have a year's experience producing work. I have a year's experience working in a large public gallery - teaching art and presenting work to the greater world. I have a certain passion for where my work's headed and what I want to do out there. I'm young - 25 - hardly at an age to have an established career, but certainly at an age to start one. And so, that's what I'm doing.

Today, I'm going to explore a litte on the outside. Today I'm going to find 5-10 things worth reading about art. I'll post them here - I'll even link to them. It's a small step of connection, but it's something.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home